Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

I’m Looking After a Child Who’s Not Mine

I’m looking after a child who’s not mine.

Temporary Care Assistance

If you’re temporarily looking after a child who is not your own, you can get financial support to help meet their needs.

Temporary care assistance provides income assistance and benefits to an adult on behalf of a child where:

The child is in the temporary care of the adult;

The child is in financial need;

The child is not a dependent child for the purposes of Ontario Works or the Ontario Disability Support Program;

The adult providing the care does not have a legal obligation to support the child; and

The adult caregiver is not receiving compensation for caring for the child under the Child, Youth and Family Services Act.

How to apply for Temporary Care Assistance

Call 613-354-0957 or Toll Free 1-866-354-0957 to complete the telephone application. It will take about 20 minutes. Then you’ll be scheduled to meet with one of our employment caseworkers to verify the details in your application and to confirm your eligibility.

Financial resources are available to parents and caregivers in need of support. To learn more about subsidies available to you as a parent or caregiver please see here.

Make sure you have the following information available when you call so you can get help faster:

  • The names and dates of birth for children in your temporary care;
  • The income sources and income amounts for all children in your temporary care;
  • Your civic address and mailing address;
  • You will also be asked about the circumstances which led to the children being placed in your home

Reach out to a Children's Services team member, we’re here to help.


This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.